Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Unwanted Visitor


So we had a little excitement last night! I was laying sleeping soundly in my bed when I heard some swearing outside my door and the doors slam shut. Later mommy told me Daddy had gotten up to use the bathroom and as he was coming back out, a bat swept by his head. He shut all the doors to contain it, but it made it's way downstairs and conveniently for us perched on the ceiling by the garage door. After mommy came out thinking something was wrong with me (fell out of the crib or something tragic) she helped Dad put up a barrier so the bat wouldn't fly back up stairs. Daddy then opened the garage door, grabbed a fishing net and swatted the bat into it and threw it outside. The bat was now free! Of course I was whining by this time because I was rudely awakened, so Mom came to feed me. The bad part of the story is that half way into eating, we were disturbed by scratching sounds and we could hear the bat crawling through a hole back into the hallway. Mom shouted for Dad and he came out only to have to slam the door in the bat's face as it came flying for his head again. The worse part of the story is that we could not find the bat again once it went all the way downstairs. We think it is hiding somewhere in the laundry room or maybe it found it's way out of the house, who knows. Daddy did check my neck to make sure I didn't have any bites! I'm clear! So the lesson of this story is to finish construction work before bats get in- we are now patching the hole that has been in our hallway for the last few months. You all know the one... where we were trying to fix the hammering pipes from our remodeled bathroom. That is where we think it got in from the attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment